“Integrative medicine is the most responsible way to practice medicine”
- Why did you decide to become a Naturopath?
I knew since I was 5 years old that I wanted to be a doctor. It wasn’t until University that I realized conventional medicine did not match my beliefs as much as naturopathic medicine did. As a 13-year-old teenager I struggled with my weight. I took it upon myself to change my lifestyle and eating habits and ended up losing 40lbs on my own.
When I discovered naturopathic medicine while at McMaster University, I applied to CCNM – the only school I was interested in going to – and never looked back. Once I graduated from CCNM, I focused all of my energy into building my practice and my brand to reach as many people as I could to help them overcome health issues, like I did. That mentality helped birth MAXIMized Health: A New Intelligent System for Optimal Digestion and Hormones, which has been sold as far away as Australia and is essentially my recipe book to how I treat my patients.
- Why is alternative medicine better than conventional medicine?
I firmly believe that no medicine or modality is “better” than any others. To believe that way is significantly reducing the medical options that my patients can have. Integrative medicine is the most responsible way to practice medicine, that and with an open-mind to options that, while you may not personally believe or know how to prescribe them, are still valid treatments to some people, so long as they never cause harm.
- What is the number one reason your clients come to you?
Chronic digestive issues that get labelled as “IBS” or labs say “it’s all normal” but the patient cannot get the symptoms under control. Also, accountability to build healthier lifestyle choices and understand foods that trigger symptoms, taking in the right nutrients and managing stress.
- What are your top three tips for clients who are starting a journey to better health?
1) Nourish your body. You drive your body pedal to the metal all day long without filling up the gas tank and then wonder why it’s starting to fail on you. Basic nutrients and water consumption are the KEY to treating just about any condition.
2) Understand which foods work and do not work for your body. Whether it is a food sensitivity or just a food that doesn’t quite sit well, the quicker you figure those foods out, the faster you will feel better.
3) Understand that YOU need to come first. If you don’t put your health/sleep/hunger/needs first, then your health and life will be at risk and you may not live as long. It’s not being selfish it is a necessity.
- What are the key benefits to eating organic foods?
Eating organic is really the ONLY way we can identify truly healthy grown foods. The organic label will only be placed on foods that have been grown 95% organically – meaning virtually without chemicals, sprays, pesticides, GMO, etc. Without the organic label, the change in agriculture and industry leaves much to the imagination.
- Are some organic foods more important than others?
To start, if you eat the skin, or the area of the food that has been sprayed, you need to get organic – i.e. berries, lettuce, apples. If you peel away the outer layer to eat the food – i.e. watermelon, avocado, bananas, oranges, etc. then it’s less pressing to buy them organic, but still a tremendous idea.